Seanachai Quote

"Do you really think there are no larger answers to the small ones we can supply? Miguel, we know there are answers for everything. Unfortunately, we know very few of them." (Alexis Paninian to Mitchell Campion following a 4 minute teleportation from Paxton, Ohio to 3XNorth, 3YEast and 150Z off the Coast of Spain, circa 5/28 & 3 weeks, OSB airdate 4/7/1959).



Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Big Artifact Discovered

Spook, a carnival Percheron.
Today while cleaning out the barn I discovered an old peddler's wagon.  The wagon is yet to be certified for authenticity by the Midtown Museum Ladies Guild, but I am fairly sure the letters that I found in the floor boards will date the cart at or about 1903.  The owner, a Mr. Malcolm McMaerNie used the cart to sell his wares in the hills of Turow, Nova Scotia.  Sorting out the wares inventory will take some time.  The Ladies Guild will want to compare one registry with another.

Spook pulls the McMaerNie cart.
My concern is more of a physical nature.  The cart did not work when I tried to pull it out of the basement.  It took a crane.  Then the wheels turned, but there was no way to pull the cart.  I couldn't even push it forward or backward.  When I decided to hitch Spook to it, the wagon harness was fitted to the wrong height.  I suppose the McMaerNie used a Cobb to pull the cart.  Spook is a carnival Percheron.  Spook is a big horse.

Tarnished pots, pans and brooms found with the cart.
After two days of fiddling and bolting the wheels to the frame, I finally got the wagon up and running.  I believe its one of a kind.  I've looked through dozens of catalogs.  A similar rig does not exist.  It is possible that someone will want a replica version, if I can fix it up a bit more and get is listed.  So far my salespersonship has not been my strong suit.  Discovering, fitting pieces, and repairing a frayed hem or a painting a board here or there is more to my liking.  Hawking wares, particularly tin cups disguised as silver is better left to men like Malcolm McMaerNie.

No comments:

Post a Comment