Seanachai Quote

"Do you really think there are no larger answers to the small ones we can supply? Miguel, we know there are answers for everything. Unfortunately, we know very few of them." (Alexis Paninian to Mitchell Campion following a 4 minute teleportation from Paxton, Ohio to 3XNorth, 3YEast and 150Z off the Coast of Spain, circa 5/28 & 3 weeks, OSB airdate 4/7/1959).



Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It rained!

Today it finally rained.  It has been hot and dry in Austral.  I don't remember the last time it rained.  Today it rained, the creeks filled with water, the sky darkened and the thunder crashed.  Madge and I, out riding in the cart ran for cover.  I am afraid of lightening.  The horses are afraid of thunder.  Madge is afraid of the horses, the cart, my driving the cart.  Madge is not happy.

Ruby finds driving a cart can be difficult.
Madge hasn't been happy for a few days.  She gets up in the morning, leaves before I wake and doesn't come home until very late.  She said, "I am feeling abandoned.  Mr. Tyion came here, you've been spending a lot of time over at that old house owned by the Baroness, and you've been running around from setting to setting trying to make things ready to story tell.  What happened to me being the story?"

"Madge," I said.  "You are the story in my book.  You always will be the story to me, but we do one part and the other characters take care of the rest.  I think we are interesting, but not that interesting."

"I did not like the cart ride," said Madge.  "Not one iota.  We got in.  You did not introduce me to the horses.  You set me in the seat, and you said giddyup.  You held a whip in your hand.  Who were you going to strike?  Those horses.  No wonder, they almost ran into the train.  Ruby, you can't drive."

"Driving takes practice, Madge.  It is true I don't yet know how to drive he cart.  I don't know the horses yet will enough to name them.  The cart's been setting in the inventory warehouse a long time, but I did not have anywhere to drive it." said Ruby.

Madge turned back to me and looked up with her hands on her hips.  "What are you going to do with the cart, the horses and the office, Ruby?  When will you have time to guide tours?  When will you take care of me?

"Madge, if you want to write stories, you have to make sacrifices, unless you are wealthy and I'm not.  I am making a gamble that this new process I am developing for storytelling will work out.  It will be cost effective and more convenient.  The Governor and I talked about using the cart for weddings.  I could drive the new couple from the church to the reception in the cart.  I'd fill it with flowers.  I'd string cans to the tailgate.  The cart will be lovely."

"If you learn how to drive," said Madge while shaking herself out like a soaked dog.   "If you learn how to drive."

No comments:

Post a Comment