Seanachai Quote

"Do you really think there are no larger answers to the small ones we can supply? Miguel, we know there are answers for everything. Unfortunately, we know very few of them." (Alexis Paninian to Mitchell Campion following a 4 minute teleportation from Paxton, Ohio to 3XNorth, 3YEast and 150Z off the Coast of Spain, circa 5/28 & 3 weeks, OSB airdate 4/7/1959).



Thursday, August 5, 2010

Test Run for The Hank Powellooie Air Balloon

Some landscapers would add a bush where Ruby
would rather park a hot air balloon.
I was exhausted this morning after completing the last tweaks on the Nonlinear Wireless  Then I started working on the Hank Powellooie Hot Air Balloon.  It drifted in the wind, but I wanted to make it emergency ready for "homing."   The homing device that sends it to the perfect parking spot works well, but not at greater distances than about 30 meters.  I expect customers will want to travel much longer distances using only the torch and vent.  When they get themselves way out in the open seas they might want to make a hasty return. 

The test went well.  I got the balloon way out there.  Then I took control of the steering against a very strong head wind, andI made it home in only a few minutes.  When I got within 20 meters of the airship pad, I pushed he automatic parking button and landed it squarely.  This is cause for a great celebration.  I have no idea whether I will ever adapt an airship, but I know now I can successfully build a physical hot air balloon that drifts and steers on command.  All that education I got working on the Silver and Pottery Peddlers Cart paid off.  The physics of the lands where I fly my ships are the same.  I am sure the physics anywhere pilots fly are the same.  Thrust and gravity are two laws that can be counted on.  The other laws, created by human beings are often predicted by time and fancy.

To bed I go.  A few clothes left to finish stitching, and I can call this summer a done deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment